Some posts include compensated hyperlinks. Please learn this disclaimer
for more information.
Croatian Cooking Makovnjača or poppyseed roll is definitely a conventional Croatian dessert that doesn’t have a precise historic story. There isn’t a particular time when this dessert has develop into “Croatian” or the place it was made for the primary time.
There are literally just a few nations in central and japanese Europe that declare the poppyseed roll as their very own nationwide dessert. Regardless we Croatians adore it.
In Croatia, Makovnjača is taken into account to be a Christmas time dessert, though we do eat it throughout the complete 12 months in lots of households throughout Croatia in addition to in lots of eating places.
There are additionally comparable desserts that appear like Croatian Cooking Makovnjača , although these are as an alternative crammed with walnuts, cacao powder, several types of jam, hazelnuts, or additionally with carob. There aren’t any limits to what flavors you can also make, so get inventive and strive one for your self.
Poppy Seed Roll
- 600 g all-purpose flour (four cups)
- 40 g dice of recent yeast (2 1/three tablespoons)
- 100 g sugar (zero.5 cup)
- 120 g butter, softened at room temperature (eight.5 Tbls)
- 250 ml milk (1 1/eight cup)
- 2 eggs
- 200 g poppy seeds (1 half of cups)
- 70 g sugar (1/three cup)
- 200 ml scorching milk (three/four cup)
- Butter for coating the dough
- Powdered sugar
- Combine the yeast with half of heat milk and sugar. Let it rise a bit
- In a separate massive bowl add the flour, sugar, salt, softened butter and eggs. Combine properly after which add the remainder of the nice and cozy milk and the yeast combination
- Knead it by hand for a couple of minutes till you get a clean and gentle dough
- Cowl the dough with a towel, and set it apart to relaxation in a heat place for a one hour or till it doubles in dimension
- Roll out the dough in a sq. form, approx 1 cm (zero.four inches) thick
- For the filling, take a medium bowl, and blend collectively the poppy seeds and sugar and canopy them with heated milk. Once I say heated, I imply like actually scorching milk. Combine it properly
- Unfold out the poppyseed filling evenly onto the rolled out dough, after which roll the dough right into a loaf, ranging from the broader aspect (consult with the step-by-step images)
- Brush the roll with melted butter and place to a pre-heated oven at 180°C (350°F) for 40 minutes
- As soon as cooled, mud the roll with powdered sugar and serve with a cup of Croatian espresso
Extra Tasty Croatian Recipes From Vedran