The Netherlands is a small nation in western Europe. However regardless of its modest measurement, the Netherlands can maintain travellers entertained for no less than a few weeks. That is due to the age-old cities, tradition and nationwide parks. It’s straightforward to journey across the nation. Because of the small land space, excellent public transportation, and an intensive street community this makes getting round a breeze.
Whether or not you’re into structure, seaside hopping, or wildlife recognizing, we now have you coated with this itinerary for a 1-2 week vacation within the Netherlands.
The place to start out?
Most travellers will arrive within the capital Amsterdam. Despite the fact that this metropolis isn’t positioned within the coronary heart of the nation, it has good connections to most components of the Netherlands. Amsterdam is a vibrant place, with quite a few museums, compelling structure, a booming nightlife scene, and many actions. From this metropolis, you may hop on a practice to any outstanding city or use the street community in case you have a rental automotive.
When to go?
When it’s best to go is determined by the actions you’re after. If you happen to want to see the well-known flower fields popping with color, then go in April or early Could. The summer time months (June to August) are glorious to get pleasure from out of doors actions, festivals, and lounging alongside the shoreline. Throughout October and November, nature exhibits its magnificence with the darkening leaves within the forests and the heathlands turning purple. The winter, which lasts from December to March, is perhaps the least enticing season to go to the Netherlands. Snow will not be assured, and it’s not all the time chilly sufficient to ice skate on the canals.
Netherlands Itinerary Concepts
Listed here are some prompt locations so as to add to a one or two week Netherlands itinerary.
Amsterdam attracts heaps of travellers because of the liberal vibe, its structure, and distinctive museums. Trip a ship by way of the historic canals within the inside metropolis, get pleasure from a bicycle tour, or climb one of many church towers for astonishing views over the traditional skyline.
Highlights of Amsterdam:
- Anne Frank Museum – Be taught extra in regards to the Jewish lady who was hiding right here and wrote her world-famous diary.
- Albert Cuyp Market – A big out of doors market with contemporary produce and typical Dutch snacks, comparable to stroopwafel (skinny waffle with syrup) and poffertjes (tiny, fluffy pancakes).
- Rijksmuseum – This museum has one of the full artwork collections, together with works of Dutch Masters comparable to Rembrandt, Van Gogh and Vermeer.
- Nemo Science Museum – An interactive and entertaining museum the place each younger and previous travellers can experiment and study all about science.
- Amsterdam Dungeon – Actors inform the tales of Amsterdam’s historical past throughout this interactive tour. The excursions are barely creepy, humorous and informative on the identical time.
Picture by @mikecleggphoto
Listed here are some excursions and actions you may like to your go to. Click on the blue-button to see much more through our really helpful associate GetYourGuide.
Size of keep
To see most of Amsterdam’s highlights, a 2 or Three-day go to will suffice. This manner, you may go to the most effective museums, tour the canals, and pattern all of the delicacies.
Listed here are a number of lodging concepts:
How you can get to Amsterdam?
Most travellers arrive in Amsterdam through Schiphol Worldwide Airport. From right here, a brief practice trip brings you to the central station. Explorers from neighbouring nations can attain Amsterdam by way of a direct practice route from Berlin, Brussels, and Paris. Utilizing a bus service comparable to Flixbus is an alternative choice.
The second-largest metropolis within the nation has a completely totally different really feel to it. Rotterdam has an vital port and is now very fashionable as a consequence of bombings in World Battle II that destroyed the historic centre. The details of curiosity are architectonic masterpieces such because the Erasmus Bridge, the Markthal and the Dice Homes.
Highlights of Rotterdam:
- Eating at Euromast tower – Get pleasure from a meal whereas overlooking your complete metropolis from the panorama restaurant.
- Markthal – This market corridor is an revolutionary piece of structure and the most effective spot to attempt cuisines from everywhere in the world.
- Maritime Museum – Exhibitions inform the story of the Rotterdam’s maritime historical past and town’s position as the biggest port in Europe.
- Dice Homes – See Rotterdam’s weirdest houses. One in all these unusually formed, cubic homes is open for show functions.
Listed here are some tour concepts to your go to. Click on the blue-button for extra concepts through our associate GetYourGuide.
Size of keep
Two days are sufficient to see essentially the most thrilling points of interest in Rotterdam. However you may need to keep some time longer in the event you’d like to incorporate close by locations just like the world-famous watermills of Kinderdijk, town of Dordrecht, or the Biesbosch Nationwide Park.
Beneath are a number of concepts on locations to remain:
How you can get to Rotterdam?
Common practice providers join Amsterdam and Rotterdam, a trip that solely takes an hour. Head to Omio to seek for connections and costs.
Within the north of the Netherlands lies the Wadden Sea, a protected nature space on the UNESCO World Heritage listing. Right here you’ll discover the Wadden Islands. In contradiction to most components of the nation, the islands on this sea are tranquil and sparsely populated. You’ll discover distinctive animals, long-stretched seashores and a few bustling festivals.
Highlights of the Wadden Islands:
- Seal tour – See these picturesque animals of their pure habitat throughout a cruise.
- ‘Wadlopen’ – Seize your boots and be part of a guided stroll on the underside of the ocean throughout low tide, when a lot of the shallow Wadden Sea is dried up.
- Oerol Competition – This annual pageant on the island of Terschelling hosts concert events, artwork exhibitions, poetry slams, and far more.
- Seashores of Vlieland – The island of Vlieland is blessed with essentially the most scenic seashores of all islands.
Size of keep
To go to all islands correctly, you can spend no less than 2 weeks right here. However we suggest Vlieland and Terschelling as essentially the most pleasing islands. For every island, 2 days is sufficient to benefit from the highlights.
Listed here are a number of concepts on locations to remain:
How you can get to the Wadden Islands?
- For Texel: Take a practice from Amsterdam to Den Helder and switch to the ferry to the island of Texel.
- For Vlieland and Terschelling: Journey by practice to Harlingen, from the place you may hop on the boat.
- For Ameland: Journey by practice to Leeuwarden, change for the bus to Holwerd, and take the ferry.
- For Schiermonnikoog: Journey by practice to Leeuwarden, change for the bus to Lauwersoog, and take the ferry.
Seek for costs and connections
Hoge Veluwe Nationwide Park
The Netherlands may not be on high of a nature lover’s journey listing, but it surely nonetheless has terrific nature reserves. The Hoge Veluwe primarily consists of forests, sand dunes, and heathlands. One of the best ways to find this fascinating park is by foot or bicycle.
Highlights of Hoge Veluwe Nationwide Park:
- Recognizing wildlife – The park is house to an abundance of deer, wild boar, fox, and even some wolves.
- Biking – Biking trails meander by way of the park, and there are 1700 white bikes obtainable to hire totally free.
- Kröller-Müller Museum – An artwork museum stuffed with carvings, sculptures and work of well-known masters like Van Gogh, Renoir and Picasso.
- Loenermark – A incredible spot to see wildlife, in addition to the vibrantly purple heathlands in September and October.
Here’s a tour you could like:
Size of keep
A full day of exploring might be sufficient to understand the attract of this reserve.
Beneath are a number of concepts for lodging:
How you can get to Hoge Veluwe Nationwide Park?
From Amsterdam, journey by practice to Apeldoorn or Ede. From right here, proceed by bus to Hoenderloo or the Kröller-Müller Museum.
Being one of many longest inhabited cities within the Netherlands, this southern gem is a compelling vacation spot. Maastricht has a captivating inner-city, loads of cafes, and tons of out of doors actions simply across the nook.
Highlights of Maastricht:
- Basilica of Saint Servatius – Thought-about to be the oldest present church within the Netherlands, this cathedral is the spotlight of the historic centre.
Sint-Pietersberg – Wander by way of the forests, see Lichtenberg Fortress, and luxuriate in views of a powerful marlstone mine.
De Gouverneur Café – A grand pub with its personal ‘Beer Bible’ and regional dishes from the Limburg province.
Saint Servatius Bridge – This 13th-century bridge is without doubt one of the most iconic constructions in Maastricht.
Size of keep
In two days you’ll get a way of Maastricht, however you may simply add two extra days in the event you want to discover the caves in Valkenburg and the varied museums on the town.
Listed here are some lodging options to go well with totally different budgets:
How you can get to Maastricht?
There’s a direct practice connection between Amsterdam and Maastricht. This journey time is roughly 2.5 hours.
Need extra concepts so as to add to your Netherlands itinerary? Take a look at 10 Cool Cities within the Netherlands or see among the tour choices under.
Author and Traveller
Huub travels around the globe as a digital nomad since early 2018, whereas working as a journey author. His ardour for journey is pushed by connecting with locals and looking for totally different landscapes. All the time joined by his favorite journey companions: a digital camera and pocket book. (Learn full bio)
We suggest the under choices to e book your accommodations, actions, flights and different transport:
Please observe that we get a small fee if you are going to buy through our referral hyperlinks. We use this to put money into new content material and enhancing this web site.